The parish consists of two wards, the Village ward and the Hinksey Hill ward, each of which is entitled to elect three councillors.
One councillor was elected unopposed for the Village ward in May 2019 to serve for four years: Patricia Jones. A further councillor, Christine Madsen, was co-opted in June 2019 to fill one of the two vacancies.
Hinksey Hill Ward
Three councillors were elected unopposed for the Hinksey Hill ward in May 2019 to serve for four years: Christine Chater, Michael Cochrane and Linda Goodhead.
At its first meeting the new Council elected Michael Cochrane as Chairman and Patricia Jones as Vice-Chair.
South Hinksey Parish Council plays an important role in the community but ultimately can only be as effective as the individuals involved. We rely on volunteer Councillors with an interest in local affairs, a willingness to be a voice for the community, and the desire to affect change for the better.
The role of Parish Councillor includes:
- Preparing for and participating in monthly Parish Council Meetings (generally the first Monday evening of each month)
- Setting and managing the annual budget, which covers, amongst other things, maintenance of the verges, wildflower meadow and woodland; managing the burial ground; employing the Clerk; as well as various one-off special projects
- Contributing to planning consultations for building works within the Parish
- Campaigning on issues of importance to Parishioners such as: traffic and speed; road and pavement maintenance; flooding; access over the railway; and
- Listening out for and acting as a voice for concerns of parishioners.
If interested in joining the Council in future, please contact the Clerk on the contact details below for more information.
Clerk – Geoffrey Ferres
c/o 20a Harley Road
Michael Cochrane (Chairman)
Patricia Jones (Vice-Chair)